Funny concept, too poorly optimized to be good.
+ The concept.
+ The look of the characters.
+ The smooth frame by frame animations of enemies.
+ The music choice.
- The so called "easy" mode, which isn't easy, just "less hard".
- The glitchiness of the spider tank level:
__- An explosion orb went full screen size, I couldn't see anything but I could go to the next level by pressing A, so apparently I destroyed the tank. Which I encountered again shooting at me next to Hitler's plane...
__- The screen went fully yellow once and the game became unplayable; all I saw was sparks and bullets, but there was no way telling if I was dodging them or not (since I also couldn't see the lives menu).
__- I once kept respawning in a place in the bottom left corner, where I kept dying over and over again before I could even move.
- Intro can't be skipped.
For me, unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros to the point where playing the game just isn't any fun.
Great game, although it still needs fixing.
...is the point that needs most of the fixing. The moments with most lag are the ones you need it the least;
- during bullet time
- when an enemy locks onto you
- when you assign mercenaries to assist you in combat
I encountered less lag after I downloaded the game from
and ran it from my computer using Flash Projector (download it for free from the official Adobe site) and adjusting the settings to low, but there's still a lot of lag.
Be aware that achievements won't work.
Since my CPU and physical memory are not even close to 40% when running the game on high settings in full screen, I can only assume that Flash itself and the browsers I used can't handle the game properly.
I know it's a free game, but when making a game the limits on the used tools should be taken into account as well. No offense, but since my computer seems to be fit to run this game properly, the game itself should run properly too.
Options that might be added to decrease the amount of lag;
- turn shell casings on or off
- an optional limit to the amount of shell casings and corpses on the floor
- simplify the enemy lock on (not sure if coding or animation causes the lag)
In general I'm very content with the gameplay; it really gives you that Madness Combat feeling when playing as one of the main characters or butchering tons of enemies in general.
Nevertheless, I'm going to complain about the things that bugged me during gameplay:
- and weapon pick up; when there is a big group in arena mode shooting at you while you have no ammo, the last thing you want is to unwillingly move up and down when you're close to a weapon that's capable of mowing down that group within seconds. A temporary increase in reach could solve this.
- and switching weapons. Maybe it's lag, but I can't switch during those dodges.
When an enemy locks on:
- pressing space bar should cut off the action you're performing, like a combo or picking up a weapon, so you can avoid getting hit.
- there should be a limit to the amount of time another enemy will lock onto you (at least not more than twice in a row without time inbetween). When you don't have squad buddies to break off their attempts you might wind up jumping around like a madman.
No customizable controls:
In the downloadable version of Madness Interactive from flecko.net you could even assign actions to pressing right mouse button and the scrollwheel (both scroll and click I believe?). Adding these options to this game would be great.
The lack of arena levels:
Because playing arena mode in another environment every once in a while will keep the game from getting old.
There is a great range of weapons and items to choose from but adding more would be great. It would be nice too if it would be possible to change the looks of the main characters as well, like an option to give Tricky his mask and Hank his Madness Apathy look.
TIPS FOR (NEW) PLAYERS:
- The armoured MAG agents can't be harmed by gunfire until you melee-attack them enough and knock their mask off. Sanford's hook is great for doing this while keeping some distance. Project Nexus can be damaged by gunfire from the start.
- When wielding the hook, aim towards the floor close to you to prevent the hook from being thrown too far away.
- In arena mode, enter the level with only one weapon and try to leave with two. Unequip one of them afterwards and repeat. In no time you'll have a nice stock of back up weapons to equip to yourself and your squad buddies.
- SPOILER: Jesus' sword can be found in level I-H: Nexus HQ. Left to the first spike room (with the sign B-1) there's a room with a terminal. In that room, between the left door and the table, there is a small square locker in the wall. It contains the sword. Great for causing damage to MAG agents when playing as Hank or Sanford.
Great game, good enough to keep me occupied for hours, although the lag annoys the poop out of my pooper.
Game mechanics were ok as well, but it got repetitive very easily.
The only difference between the levels became the amount of enemies and the change of backgrounds.
Pretty fun to play for a few minutes, but nothing that special that made me want to play this game more than that.
Great potential, but you should have done more with it.
The game was ok
But unfortunately the game didn't always go along with the controls. I'm not sure whether this was hardware related or related to the coding itself, but since I own a fast computer neither one should be an excuse.
Sometimes it wasn't easy to figure out what to do, for example it took me a while to even realize you had to do something to make the text go away.
Overall a good game, but the fact that it sometimes took a lot of time to find out what to do, made me decide to give this a lower rating.
If you want people to figure out what to do themselves, the solutions should be a little more obvious in my opinion.
Some tips for other players struggling with what to do;
1. Start the game and skip text by following the arrows in the circular direction.
2. As a sperm, move by wiggling your mouse and your tail will do the same. Find the egg cell, penetrate it by wiggling faster and get to the core.
3. Next thing you have to do is separate the colored balls in a green, red and a blue group (this can be a real pain in the ass).
4. Your next objective is to get all the way down, but the other organism-thingies will try to push you up. Circle around your embryo in different directions to dodge them until you're at the bottom.
5. Now you have to feed the fetus, use your tentacle to move the orbs to the fetus before the other brain-stem-spine thingies start humping them.
6. Next thing you have to do is make the fetus in the upper image grab the bubbles; change its direction by touching the kidney-like things in the lower image. In the lower image you will see that they appear as small fetuses inside your fetus. In case there are no bubbles near, use the big flat organ to move forward until you reach more bubbles.
7. Keep shooting arrows at the other life form and keep trying to get close to it, when you are you'll be done.
8. Fly all the way up until you're beyond the stars
It was ok
But not a great game. For example, I think that it needed more checkpoints. Because the movements didn't entirely correspond to the keys pressed, I died a lot more than I believe I should have, and more checkpoints could have saved me from some irritation.
Also, there are no real puzzles to solve, the only thing that you have to do is being lucky to kill yourself at the right time to make sure you can make progress.
However, I really liked the style and the overall look of the game. Concept was also great, but it was the fact that the controls didn't completely respond and the fact where you had to kill yourself at moments you couldn't predict that didn't make me give you a 10.
A few playthrough hints for other players:
- When you're playing as the "stranger" and you passed the back and forth-room, you can cross the three similar rooms more easily by going down two steps, hold jump and on the top of that jump tap the right arrow and jump over the spikes to pass.
- Kill yourself on the four spikes in the room where you meet Mitch. After killing yourself there, you will gain control over Mitch who will be able to beat the bunnies (press X to punch).
- When you become "bee", keep tapping the up arrow to make sure you don't lose to much altitude. After that, good luck flying through the spikey tunnels.
I love the trollface, so I enjoyed playing this game a lot :D
- Don't use accelerators when you're too high; wait until you're close to the floor, then press the "accelerate me" button. By doing this you increase the chance of encountering another accelerator pick-up and gaining more distance.
- Personally I don't like the way the mustache and the beard look, so I wouldn't recommend you to buy them. Arms and legs are unnecessary too in my opninion, but you'll need a body in order to use the accelerators.
- Make sure to save money for the super-upgrade! It boosts your speed a lot and will make it a lot easier to buy the other items.
It was okay, probably better when you played the original game.
Sometimes I shot, the background got white and I heard the gunshot as it should, but the dog wouldn't die.
Pretty fun game
However, the medal system isn't as fixed as you say. I cleared both my browser and flash cache, and although I unlocked all medals according to the game, they still don't show up on my NewGrounds account.
For example; I unlocked "Rockstar from Mars" in-game, but from the distance achievements I unlocked only "Major bender"... so I obviously should have unlocked "Two and a half miles" as well - but it doesn't show up.
Funny game, kinda addicting but when it comes to the medal system I think there is still some stuff remaining that needs fixing.
Just too short. I'd love to see a sequel with more or endless waves, more possibilities to spend earned points on and above all - more gameplay.
Also- it can be quite annoying to zap a vehicle, without causing any damage to it. I noticed that it depends on where exactly you hit it, but if you didn't make this on purpose it might be something that has to be fixed.
But overall a good game :D
10/10 and 5/5
An original concept with more than the basic jump features to make it even more interesting.
However, it's too glitchy to be fun; the glitches were just too frustrating.
Multiple times got crushed while standing on a falling block when it hit the "building", which besides from looking odd was rather annoying.
If you managed to remove them, the game would be lots and lots better.
7/10 and 4/5
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.